Free Economy Institute
Urban zoning
  • The local government of the settlement should have the "Land Use and Development Rules" of its settlement.
  • «Land Use and Development Rules ”regulate the zoning of the territory of a settlement - the division of a settlement into districts according to the permissible purposes of using land. 
  1. The use of areas established by zoning may be next: residential, business, commercial, industrial, agricultural and others (including mixed).
  2. Classification of the use of areas should be based on the severity of restrictions, starting with a purely residential area, and ending with an area with unlimited use. 
  3. Zoning may include restrictions on plot size, building height and size, and land density.
  • «Land Use and Development Rules ”, with all changes and additions to them, are introduced, approved at a general referendum by the citizens of Ukraine who live in this settlement.
  • Changes and additions to the "Land Use and Development Rules" can be made no more than once a year.
  • Zoning is not retroactive - restrictions apply only to buildings and plots that are built or rebuilt after the adoption of the "Land Use and Development Rules" or after making the appropriate changes and additions to them. Zoning may have retroactive effect on restricting the use of property only with the official consent of its owner.
  • The owner of a plot of land is not required to obtain any permission for the construction or other use of his plot if the activities carried out on this plot do not violate the current "Land Use and Development Rules" of this settlement.
  1. An exception is the placement of harmful (in accordance with the law of Ukraine) production. In this case, the owner of the site is required to obtain permission from the local government, having concluded an agreement with him, which is ratified by a referendum of the inhabitants of the settlement (see. Modern State - Environmental Protection).
  • The only opportunity for the owner to use his plot for purposes that do not comply with the current "Land Use and Development Rules" is to make the relevant changes to these rules by the local government and ratify these changes in an appropriate referendum.